Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Until next time...

Saying good-bye is hard. But the world hasn't seen the last of me! Reflecting on issue no. 4

Writing "until next time" at the end of my editor notes gave me a peace of mind knowing that I had another issue to write, edit and publish. Now, with the fourth and final issue in the hands of the printer I can feel myself filling up with jumbled thoughts and a sense of sorrow knowing this class and the editor position are coming to an end.

Being a journalist is not an easy job but it can be with proper education and a positive mindset. Criticism is going to happen nearly every article. If my articles were perfect I would be the one holding the laser pointer instead of sitting here listening to lectures.

I have come to the realization not every story I write will get published. There's just not enough room. I also have to learn to pick my stories wisely and give myself ample time to produce quality work worthy of reading.

Lastly, the best way to become a great author, writer and editor is to read, read and read some more. Study magazines, online newspapers and even advertisements.

Thank you to my classmates and Ms. Sheppard for making this learning experience one to remember!

Until next time,


Melissa B. Merkler
EIC

No comments:

Post a Comment