Thursday, December 12, 2013

What I learned #4 - Sean Doty

So the semester is finally over and we have finished with our final issue for the year. Usually I am glad when the semester is over, but this time around I have mixed emotions with this.

I am proud of what I was able to accomplish with this final issue. Although I wish I was able to do more with the artwork and it was difficult to make my story legitimate in the beginning (thank you, Orlando Magic), I was able to make this just as good as my previous story in the third issue. I learned that we are able to use quotes from professional sources through other media outlets, as long as we accredit the original source in our article. I also learned how important it is to pour strong quotes into your article.  Anyone can put a simple quote in and call it a day. But if you are able to get great quotes, especially from credible sources, they can really make your article stand out and shine!

Needless to say this will be the final time that I will be blogging on here and my tenure writing for the Seminole Scribe is now officially over (at least as a current student). I originally went into this class thinking that I would use it to brush up my writing skills and to get an idea of what it would be like to write for a newspaper. However the experience I gained was much more than I had anticipated. From all the guest speakers, lectures and different subject areas we were able to cover during this Fall semester, I can honestly say this class was the most fun filled class I have experienced in my three years at Seminole State College. I would love to participate in it again next semester, but sadly I will be unable to.

I am thankful for the wonderful opportunity that Professor Sheppard has provided for all of us to expand as writers and as reporters. There are not many passionate teachers at Seminole State who care for their students to succeed in the field, but she definitely proved this semester that she is one of the exceptions to that. This class has meant so much to me from a writing and social standpoint. I have met many interesting individuals, worked with many great colleagues and even made some awesome friends. While I spend the next two to four years up in Gainesville progressing further into my journalistic career, I will never forget where my roots originated from and I will always be grateful for what this class was able to offer me.

I hope everyone has a spectacular holidays! I love you all and Go Gators!

- Sean Doty, aka "The Sports Guy"

No comments:

Post a Comment