Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What I learned - Joseph Meadows

Wow, issue three already here and gone! Can't believe it. This semester is definitely flying by and I'm enjoying it very much.

Anywho, the main things I've learned with this issue are all about the art of the interview, which I'm no where close to mastering or getting right. I'm guessing that it's all about experience and as with everything, the more you do it, the better you are at it. Experience teaches wisdom.

I had the distinct honor to interview Hakan Özoğlu, Ph.D.,  Director of Middle Eastern Studies at UCF. And seeing how history and especially Mid East history is one of my favorite topics to discuss, I knew I would get a lot out of it, but only if I prepared. Which I did.

I honestly thought that, even though I'd prepared, that this guy being an expert would blow me out of the water with his intellect and degrees and I would look like a/an (explicit).

This was not the case at all. He was genial, knowledgeable and the discussion was thoroughly enjoyable and I learned a lot from it.

So what did I learn from this experience?

Be prepared, ask good follow-up questions like "what do you mean by that statement?" and "could you explain your point?" and always engage in a conversational manner as to not put off the interviewee.

Interviewing is definitely a major work in progress for me but I think I did pretty well with my first face to face. 

No need to rest on my laurels!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Glad your source was able to keep you engaged. You know what happens when you assume things, right? =) Keep up the good work and follow up questions!

    ReplyDelete