Monday, October 28, 2013

What issue 3 taught me- Melissa B. Merkler

Writers block is setting in like a cold winter storm. I can't seem to shake it no matter how hard I try. Perhaps my personal life has been a distraction or maybe the subjects from issue three were just overwhelming and drained me mentally? After all, rape is a tough topic to talk about.

What I have learned this go around is that I have to manage my time and accept the fact that I can not cover every event around campus or in the community all by myself and expect to write about and squeeze it all into one issue. Maybe I should publish my own magazine. hmm...

I have also learned that to be a good editor I have to read the same boring story over and over until it's print-worthy.

In addition, it is important for journalists to write interesting and eye-catching headlines and titles which is the first thing a reader sees. This will determine if they get reeled in and read the article or continue skimming until something else catches their attention. 

Lastly, I have learned that some people have a natural gift for writing in journalism style while others have to really work at it. I'm still trying to figure out where I am on that spectrum. 

Until next time,

Melissa B. Merkler
EIC

No comments:

Post a Comment